- The Barbershop Harmony Society, formerly SPEBSQSA (Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of BarberShop Quartet Singing in America ) includes chapters in the US and Canada . It was organized in 1938, and now includes about 30,000 members in about 800 chapters, organized into 16 districts. The headquarters are based in Nashville, TN.
- The Land O'Lakes District (LOL) consists of Wisconsin , Michigan 's upper peninsula, Minnesota , North Dakota , Manitoba , Saskatchewan , and western Ontario .
- The Southwest Division has chapters in Albert Lea, Eau Claire, Faribault, Harmony, La Crosse, Lakeville, Leroy, Mankato, Murray County, Rochester, Windom, Winona, and Worthington
- Chapter Officers: President, Membership VP, Music VP, Marketing and PR VP, Program VP, Secretary, Treasurer.
- Board of Directors: current officers, immediate past president, one board member-at-large.
- Board of Directors meets the first Tuesday of each month. Meetings are open to all members.
- Standing committees: Annual Show, Music, Nominating, BOTY
- Appointed positions: Chairmen of standing committees, Chorus Manager, Librarian, Bulletin Editor, Historian, Delegate to District Conventions, Community Services, Interchapter Events, Quartet Promotion, Section Leaders, Uniforms.
- Chapter meets every Tuesday, 7:00 - 9:30 p.m. at Loyola High School from September to May and at Christ the King Church from June through August. Both locations in Mankato MN.
- Chapter music activities: annual show, Division and District Contests, paid and non-paid performances (including church services on 5-6 summer Sundays). Chapter typically performs 30-40 times a year.
- Chapter social activities: Annual Banquet: BOTY Award, installation of officers held in November or early December. Cook-out and Picnic: family social time sharing a dish to pass and good conversation. This event is held at various locations. Ladies Nights and other events as scheduled.
- Annual Show is held in April or May, with afternoon and evening performances. Chorus selection of 6-8 songs usually fitting a theme (see history section) with one or two guest quartets.
- Weekly chapter bulletin updates on this website, LOL District bulletin is The Pitchpiper. Society publication is The Harmonizer.
- Typical calendar of events:
- January - Leadership Academy (formerly COTS)
- March - Division Contest
- April - Harmony Month, Annual Show
- May - District Spring Convention and Contest
- Summer - 6-7 Sundays singing for church services
- October - District Fall Convention and Contest
- November - Annual BOTY Award & Installation Banquet
- Cost for membership: annual dues of approximately $145 divided between International, District, and local chapter. Student rates are lower.
- Uniforms: Chapter owns all full dress tux uniforms. Members are expected to purchase their own "casual" uniforms and make a donation to cover (or help cover) the costs of the full dress uniform.
- Leadership Academy, formerly known as Chapter Officer Training School (COTS): all officers, and music directors are expected to attend at chapter expense.